Job title: Learning Support Assistant 1:1
Purpose of the job: To provide 1:1 learning support to a student with Autism.
Responsible to: Leighton College Course Leader
Salary: £21,543 (13,687 pro rata) For a whole year
Hours: P/T 26 hrs p/w (39 weeks term time only)
Based: Leighton College, Elfrida Rathbone Camden
7 Dowdney Close, NW5 2BP
Initial contract for 10 months with likelihood of extension.
- To give 1:1 support to a learner with Autism in achieving his targets set in the individual learning plan.
- To provide support according to the learner’s needs on a one-to-one basis in the classroom or with other planned activities.
- To identify and report any safeguarding concerns, and to follow ERC’s Child Protection and Vulnerable Adult policies.
- To accompany learner to off-site activities facilitating ease of travel and maximising wider opportunities for the learner and learning.
- To supervise the learner during lunch and break times, beginning and end of the day, where necessary.
- To maintain up to date records, learner profiles, learning aims and outcomes.
- To assist tutors and Course Leader with monitoring and tracing the learner’s progress including recording of data.
- To attend staff meetings and staff development training.
Health & Safety:
- To take reasonable care of your own health and safety and that of others who may be affected by your work activity.
- To notify any shortcomings in Health and Safety arrangements.
- To familiarise yourself with and conform to ERC health and safety policy and procedures.
- To observe all safety rules at all times.
- To abide by the Equality and Diversity Policy. The policy states that ERC will not tolerate discrimination on the grounds of race, religious/political beliefs, colour, ethnic origin, nationality, gender, sexual orientation, marital/parental status, age (subject to contractual retirement age), physical or sensory disabilities, learning difficulties or mental health problems and trade union membership/activity.
1. Work as part of a team to enable the project to meet its objectives.
2. Undertake any other duties as requires, commensurate with the post e.g. admin and IT support.
Learning Support Assistant
|Qualifications||Relevant professional or vocational qualification or experience with young adults with learning disabilities/autism.|
|Knowledge||Knowledge and understanding of learning disabilities.|
|Ability to work to support young adults in an educational setting|
|Ability to work as part of a team.|
|Experience of working with diverse cultures and of addressing the needs of different sectors of the community.|
|Personal Skills||Evidence of clear and effective communication skills.|
|Commitment to supporting and respecting right to independence, choice and confidentiality of learners.|
|Ability to work independently and to use own initiative.|
|Competent with the use of IT systems such as Microsoft Office.|
|Appropriate levels of numeracy and literacy at a standard required for the role.|
|Commitment to supporting equal opportunities and Elfrida Rathbone Camden Equality and Diversity policy|